Wednesday 27 October 2010

Smashing, smiting, screaming, throwing, crashing and making poetry



















Backwards, backwards, more and more backwards! At least this is the last post about the weekend before the last one. That is a lot of "last/least" to be written, I know, but please be patient, you would understand my state of mind if you were reading the book I am through right now.
Having planned a totally relaxing weekend, as you have read in the most recent posts, my lovely all-sweet partner added to it a two nights gig by her most beloved band, the Einsturzende Neubauten!
If you find the name sounding a bit harsh - strikingly enough being German a generally considered very smooth language, of course - I can assure you that it gives just a pale representation of their music. As it is easy to guess, I am not an industrial music enthusiast, even though I have to admit last year Nine Inch Nails' gig was one of the funniest and most dangerous I have been to in years - I know, NIN are not really industrial, according to purist like my beloved girlfriend, but still... - so I was quite sceptical about the possibility of enjoyment of the nights. I was badly wrong.
 
 























The band was amazing to listen to in a live performance, entertaining at any level - great performers, strong stage presence, unexpected sense of humour - and their instruments were real works of art.
Truly inspirational. The ability of creating such an appealing contrast between the painful noises of astounding percussion instruments, the harshness of the language driven to its extremes at times and the poetry of the lyrics is a non-common quality. I love contrasts, being able to manage them gives the opportunity of creating something with a soul, not just a nice/cute/vacuum looking whatever-it-is-I-erase-it-from-my-brains-the-moment-I-cast-my-eyes-anywhere-else.
So I believe I have to sincerely thank my lady for my newly gained hearing impairment and this glimpse over a previously unknown world of creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment