Sunday 24 October 2010

The galleries' idea of Arts

It would look great in my living room

Being one week late is not that bad - unless you are a girl and had unsafe sex recently - it is like I am talking about something not exactly new, on the spot, but not completely faded away yet. In some way a reminder of an happening that needed to be understood more deeply, not just judged and discarded.
Unluckily enough though, my present subject, the Frieze Art Fair, was by many means something to store away in a dusty corner of one's mind and move on.
I know I sound too extreme and I am not an expert in any way, but certain aspects of the Fair were pretty disappointing. Obviously there were a lot of great works all over the place, it was difficult not to find at least an interesting one in each gallery, but the overall quality of them was incomprehensible. Unless one is an art dealer, of course. This is really the only valuable point of view on contemporary art, sadly. If a gallery manager decides to show an artist's piece, no matter what junk it is, job done, the guy has probably made is fortune. Otherwise whatever amazing, breathtaking, Stendhal syndrome causing object one can produce, it is just worthless rubbish if no gallery wants to sell it. Visual Arts nowadays are hostages of wannabe-posh people who can not go out without their bloody iPads! At least Londoners and New Yorkers, all the other ones will follow soon on their path.
Did I sound too harsh? I can do better than this, just try to bring me to a crowded, warm, dry-to-the-point-of-eye-burning place stuffed with multicoloured eclectic things and listen to me right there...
Kind of a living hell, I have to admit, until I turned a corner, got inside Paul Kasmin Gallery area and had a true epiphany...
 
Mark Ryden - Awakening the Moon
End of the epiphany...

No comments:

Post a Comment